We just launched Reflections on Lambeth 2022 with Bishop Eugene Sutton For Individuals and For Groups.
Originally scheduled for 2020 and postponed due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the most recent Lambeth Conference finally was able to meet in late July and early August of 2022. All bishops in the Anglican Communion are invited to attend the Lambeth Conference, where they pray and reflect on scripture together and discuss issues of importance to the global church.
In this class, Bishop Eugene Sutton, who attended his first Lambeth Conference in 2008, offers his perspective on the 2022 Lambeth Conference. First, he offers an overview of what exactly the conference is and why it matters. Second, he discusses the current place the conference holds as an Anglican Church authority. Third, he talks about the main issues discussed at the 2022 conference. Fourth, he addresses the question of why it matters that the Lambeth Conference and other meetings between members of the global Anglican communion continue to happen.
Major themes Bishop Sutton engages include:
- Why the Lambeth Conference is essential.
- The nature and extent of the Lambeth Conference’s authority.
- The major issues that divide the global Anglican communion and how they were handled at the 2022 conference.
- The major issues that were discussed at the 2022 conference.
- The necessity of maintaining a global perspective on issues facing the Anglican Communion.
- The importance of meeting with other members of the global Anglican communion regularly.
- Tensions that define the Anglican Communion experience across the board (e.g. the tension between our reverence for tradition and our openness to new ideas.
Bishop Sutton’s video lectures include:
- Historical Roots
- Lambeth and Moral Authority
- The Issues
- Why Meet?
We hope this class teaches you about the place of the Lambeth Conference in the Anglican Communion today and about how they are approaching issues of importance to the global church today.
For a course preview, please click below.